Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Slint - Spiderland

preface: Touch & Go Records is one of the most important labels in underground history. They are right up there with Dischord. I had quite the scare today when I read that they were pretty much going to cease to exist as a record label. I literally shouted “NO!” when I read it. That ended up not being true (turns out that they are going to be cutting their distribution of other labels records, which is still a big deal)  but it just made me realize how important the label was to me. So today I decided to post one of my favorite records the label has put out. 

I'm not going to go too much into this album. Slint were one of the first "math rock" bands, along with Chavez and Polvo. The genre has changed alot since then. Initially it was more related to post rock, which you can hear on this album. Angular quiet/loud guitar parts. Speaking/screaming lyrics. Changing/shifting time signatures. Great album.

-matthew st. 

Buy it from a independent record store if you like it
Or better yet, get it directly from Touch & Go's Online Store
Please support the Touch & Go Record Label

1 comment: