Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Zona Mexicana


I have found that when it comes to new shit, I gravitate towards music that is interesting on paper that also holds my ear for other, more intuitive reasons.
The nature of creativity, collaboration, etc...will usually send you toward either/or, and not in the middle of these two worlds.
TYPICALLY, the more technical you get, the harder it is to inform the listener's heart, whereas if you are coming from a purely emotional place, odds are that you will not purposely change meter every measure.
(Obviously these things are not always true, it's just what I've noticed tends to be.)

I feel that Zona Mexicana have met my ears at the line of scrimmage with this 3 song EP.
Melodically, rhythmically, I am engaged from start to finish.
This is one of many ways to do "math rock" correctly.
Highly proficient musicians playing I-don't-give-a-fuck-music that you can relate to.
They go from on-a-dime stop-start parts to shit that is akin to throwing paint on a wall with ease, all clearly having been rehearsed and hashed out. From the Stewart-Copeland-esque hook in "Let's Get Tired" to the Meshuggah-in-a-ball-pit-at-Discovery-Zone intro of "Bored and Boring," you certainly have plenty to dig into in these too-short 11 minutes. I love it!

Download it, listen, send it to your friends:
Zona Mexicana - 3 Song EP

If you want a physical copy, there is of course a myspace page.

Bonus Recommendation: Jamie Foxx Ruins A Non-Comedian

- Peter "Female" Bermel

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.
    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back someday.
    I want to encourage continue your great job, have
    a nice weekend!
    My weblog Hainan Airlines

    ReplyDelete